Bright and bold, they represent adoration, loyalty and longevity and are known as happy flowers. Aysha Tahir and Katy Marshall, founders of Greenka, share a few expert tips on how best to grow these magnificent plants:
"Sunflowers can grow up to 2 meters tall and fair best in full sunlight. Their large, yellow flowers grow up to 25cm in diameter. They are a type of daisy that's annual and grows from seeds and will bloom in the Summer, flowering for up to two weeks.
- Plant their seeds from April - May
- Sunflowers need well draining soil. A peat-free multipurpose soil with some perlite is ideal
- At least six hours of sunlight is recommended for strong growth
- Water regularly to avoid soil drying out until they are ready to plant out at the end of May
- Don't be stingy on organic matter when planting them and use bamboo cane or similar to help them grow."